Sunday, October 18, 2009

Your Old Wave Halloween Video Mega-Jukebox!


For almost ten years I hosted a show on WWSP-90FM Radio called The Old Wave, dedicated to "modern rock that wasn't so modern anymore." I limited myself to the years 1977-1992, with most of the music coming from alternative rock (or college rock) from that period. While the show bounced around a few different time slots, it dwelt in the Sunday afternoon 3-6pm slot longer than any other time. Sooooo...I took that time this afternoon and came up with a list of songs that I can recall playing during my annual Halloween shows. Now, this is a first pass off the top of my head, and If you return to this posting over the next two weeks, it's likely to grow. As a public service, I've conveniently linked each song title to its video so that you can consider them for your Halloween party, cuz after you've played "Thriller," "Ghostbusters," "Werewolves of London" and "Monster Mash," who are you really gonna call? Why, The Jar, of course! These songs are a three+ hour shift...Happy deejaying!

The Alarm - The Stand
B-52s - Planet Claire
Bauhaus - Bela Lugosi's Dead
Berlin - Masquerade
Blondie - Island of Lost Souls
Bollock Brothers - Horror Movies
Book of Love - Tubular Bells
Book of Love - Witchcraft
David Bowie - Cat People (Putting Out Fire)
David Bowie - Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps)
The Chills - Male Monster from the Id
Comateens - "The Munsters" Theme
Concrete Blonde - Bloodletting (The Vampire Song)
Alice Cooper - He's Back (The Man Behind the Mask)
The Cramps - Human Fly
The Cramps - I Was a Teenage Werewolf
The Cure - Lullaby
Curve - Horror Head
Dead or Alive - Something in My House
The Dickies - Gigantor
Thomas Dolby - I Scare Myself
Echo and the Bunnymen - People Are Strange
Roky Erickson and the Aliens - Creature With the Atom Brain
The Fall - There's a Ghost in My House
John Fogerty - Eye of the Zombie
The Fools - Psycho Chicken
J. Geils Band - Fright Night
Golden Earring - Twilight Zone
Lou Gramm - Lost in the Shadows
Robyn Hitchcock & the Egyptians - My Wife and My Dead Wife
Hitmen - Bates Motel
Hooters - All You Zombies
Insiders - Ghost on the Beach
INXS - Devil Inside
Ignatius Jones - Like a Ghost
Joy Division - Dead Souls
Laibach - Sympathy for the Devil
Landscape - Norman Bates
Robert Marlow - The Face of Dorian Gray
Meat Beat Manifesto - Psyche-Out
Men at Work - Dr. Heckyll and Mr. Jive
Ministry - Everyday Is Halloween
Morrissey - November Spawned a Monster
Morrissey - Ouija Board, Ouija Board
Motels - Shock
Peter Murphy - Cuts You Up
My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult - Devil Bunnies
Norm Norman - You're a Zombie
Oingo Boingo - Dead Man's Party
Oingo Boingo - Weird Science
Psychedelic Furs - The Ghost In You
The Ramones - Pet Semetary
Fred Schneider & The Shake Society - Monster
Siouxsie and the Banshees - Fear (of the Unknown)
Siouxsie and the Banshees - Spellbound
Sparks - Armies of the Night
Specials - Ghost Town
Split Enz - Dirty Creature
Rachel Sweet - Voo Doo
Talking Heads - Psycho Killer
Toto Coelo - Dracula's Tango
Toto Coelo - I Eat Cannibals
Violent Femmes - Nightmares
Was (Not Was) - Out Come the Freaks

Stay tuned...more shall follow!

3 comments:

Pax Romano said...

Ghost Town! You've included Ghost Town, bless you.

Now, go seek out Halloween Spooks by Lambert, Hendricks & Ross; a great old jazz tune.

senski said...

I did - it's marvelous! And it inspires me to do more editions of the Halloween Jukebox...

Simon B said...

What a great selection!
Any jukebox that features Was (Not Was) and Robyn Hitchcock is all right by me!!
And the Ramones too?
How's that for a slice of fried gold?