Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Terror Trivia Tuesday!


Every year since 1983 I have played in the World's Largest Trivia Contest held in beautiful Stevens Point, Wisconsin. Each year upwards of 12,000 players descend on the city for an April weekend as WWSP-90fm, the local college station, asks 54 hours of questions non-stop from Friday 6pm till Sunday at midnight. Players form teams - around 500 or so - and call in answers to the eight questions asked over the airwaves per hour. The fewer teams that get the question right, the higher the point value.

Yes, you stay up for all 54 hours. Or at least you try to.

For the last decade and a half I have thrown my lot in with the team The Cakers, or, as they are referred to in Jeopardy! champ Ken Jennings' book on trivia fanatics Brainiac, the "hard-drinking team known as The Cakers." Despite - or maybe because of - our communal dedication to potent potables, we are a Top Ten team, and recently in the "unplugged" (that is, Internet-free-off-the-top-of-yer-head) version of the contest as well. Many of us have our areas of expertise; sports, commercials, television, comic books. Me, I pride myself on being the go-to guy for all questions dealing with the horrific in the media.

Only one problem; there aren't any. Ever. I have to reach back for a question from the mid-80s dealing with John Carpenter's The Thing to recall the last time I heard a query on the subject. The two guys who write the contest just don't like horror, and teams have long since learned that the questions asked reflect their interests and idiosyncrasies. For each of the last two years, there has been a question from a Twilight Zone episode; I suspect this was just an attempt to induce a coronary in me.

So, to make up for that glaring sin of omission, every Tuesday I'll post a trivia question here culled from the world of Horror. Now, I've done this for my team in the past, and I'm sure they'll be the first to tell you...they ain't no easy wins. What fun is there in asking something that you can Google in two seconds flat? Post as a comment if you think you know, ok? Here we go...

Many horror movies have been released touting special processes that enhance the viewing experience (Emergo, Percepto, Illusion-O). This 1982 film promoted a process that cautioned the audience, "You don't need glasses - only a strong heart." What was the name of this movie?

8 comments:

tony said...

this is a recording...

tony said...

YAY it worked...I have no idea what the answers is... let me get back to you

senski said...

Yes!

Anonymous said...

But if I use the tradition trivia search method on Google, then I all I get for a result is your blog page! No fair! (obnoxious fake crying ensues...)

PS. that baby vampire picture scares me.

senski said...

You know what this means, Jon - I've just ruined another potential 500 point question for the Cakers. Now everyone will be able to find it. I'm such a bastard...

The evil baby is from "It's Alive," one of the last films a young couple who's expecting should ever watch. "Tell me, doctor...What's wrong with my BAYBEEEEE???"

heh heh heh

Anonymous said...

Just don't post the answer. Or if you do add a fake middle initial so we can get the question thrown out next April. CHEAT, WRECK, DRINK!

The Cakers said...

Trivia ID number is 9020.

Our answer is "Boardinghouse."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfCWKorTVMw

Thank you.

senski said...

Phones down - phones down in the back!

Impressive. And correct.