Thursday, October 29, 2009

Rod Serling made it look so easy...

Since I've featured posts about ABC's Fridays and NBC's Saturday Night Live during this first month of The Jar, I would be remiss if I did not offer up something from our neighbors to the North, SCTV. One of the strangest, at times surreal, recurring bits was the fictional network's misguided attempt at a horror anthology show, Doorway to Hell. Under the well-intentioned, honorable, yet woefully incompetent Lin Ye Tang, this was to have been a weekly sojourn into the satanically supernatural...in theory, anyway. Dave Thomas has said that Tang was one of his favorite characters to play, since he was so altruistic, so vulnerable, so noble, so...hapless. Here he is introducing that classic tale of terror, "The Man Who Lived in a Box." And if you say you don't remember "The Man Who Lived in a Box," watch and learn why...

1 comment:

Jeff Allard said...

I miss SCTV. One of the local stations in my area used to run it in syndication Mon-Fri during the mid-'80s. Haven't seen it since then but I rememeber preferring it to Saturday Night Live, maybe because it was centered around TV spoofs, which I repsonded to more.