Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Horror, Oscars. Oscars, Horror.

Via the fearsome folk at Bloody Disgusting comes the exclusive tip that there will be some tribute to cinematic Horror on Sunday night's telecast of the 82nd Annual Academy Awards. While I'm grateful that the MPAA and I are in sync this week, I admit that I'm appreciative for the tip of the hat, but I would much prefer if the time had been used to give Roger Corman his honorary Oscar at the Kodak Theater, instead of doling it out last November and giving viewers assuredly-brief clips of the earlier ceremony. New Oscar producer Adam Shankman has been tasked with giving ABC a ratings-grabbing show, which is why you'll be seeing the likes of Zac Efron and most of the cast of Twilight. But I'm sure that Shankman also looked at the box office these last three weekends, and saw how Horror movies (or movies with ad campaigns that dress like Horror) landed at #1. If they do present a clip montage, I hope they got Stephen Garrett and Christy Williams, who did the marvelous Scorsese tribute at the January Globes, to craft it. (Is there anyone in Hollywood who still likes Chuck Workman's lookalike montages?)

And if they get the newly-knighted Sir Christopher Lee to introduce it, I will forgive Oscar some, but not all, of its anti-Horror sins.

2 comments:

I Like Horror Movies said...

Bringing Lee in to introduce would be enough for me to watch the Oscars for the first time in my life =D

senski said...

Carl, how I'd love to see the entire Kodak Theater stand up for him if and when he enters...