Saturday, January 2, 2010

My Dad

Those of you who have been regular readers of The Jar know that I speak often about and with great love for my parents. My mother taught me to read, and my father enabled a lifetime passion for the written word. Any blog with the subtitle about having "the heart of a 13 year old" is going to deal at some point with those people who were my heart when I was chronologically that age.

After a slow slide into Alzheimer's and dementia, my mother passed at the age of 74 in January of 2008, leaving my father, now 81, to soldier on for himself. If you want to cultivate a mental image for my dad, just picture latter-years George C. Scott in both appearance and temperament, and you won't be far off. He was a boxer in his halcyon high school days, and took pride over the years for his sheer physical strength. However, that disposition also was a tragic flaw when sickness paid a visit; he could be very convincing at fooling most that there was nothing wrong, but who knew what battles were being waged within that body.

On New Year's Eve, he complained of indigestion, and difficulty in breathing. He was suffering a massive heart attack, but went through the night and did not allow my only sibling. my ten-year older brother, to take him to the ER until 11:00 the next morning. The doctors are amazed that he is alive, given the amount of blockage that they have subsequently discovered in his heart (an issue that he, and they, knew was always going to demand attention, but with his diabetes, they were proceeding with caution). At present, one lung is filled with infection, the other with fluid, and once those conditions are dealt with, he will have the necessary bypass. But again, he is 81, and all such procedures are very, very dicey at that vulnerable age.

All of this is my way, Gentle Readers, of explaining that I may not be around these parts as much as I would like in the days, maybe weeks ahead. I'll still be posting, just without such great frequency, I expect. To relinquish posting entirely would not please my dad very much, who never wanted me to worry about him, and I think could never quite figure out how this strange younger son of his developed such a passion for music, art, theater and, yes, Horror. After all, he's a fighter...and he doesn't like losing, and turning away from The Jar right now (boy, that "Heart" in the title makes me feel a bit queasy) would be throwing in the towel.

Fight, Dad. Fight.

8 comments:

Jay Watson said...

Dear Dad, my friend...
I am saddened by this post and the medical condition of your Father. I will (and have already) be praying for him, you, and the whole family. The cyber universe (even with cool blogs) can be so impersonal, distant, and, well..cold, but my heart (not yet in a jar) burns with love for you and your Dad.
Courage. If I can do anything for you pm me.
Jay
aka r/e

Jay Watson said...

I am so sorry Steve, I know who you are, but it's late here in Kansas... I should have retired a while back. I've been scanning through all the my "followed blogs" and I just read a series of posts from the blogger known as "DAD"...then I clicked on your post entitled my Dad... and then when I typed my first reply I go and botch the salutation.. my apologies Steven...
your friend,
Jay
aka rogue evolent (sheepish hanging head)

I Like Horror Movies said...

Very sorry to hear that your dad is working through such tough times Sen, but you know he wont be one to throw in the towel that easy. Even if he wouldnt want you to take the time off the site, your love and support will be the deciding factors in his recovery, so take care and I wish you guys all the best in a speedy recovery,

-Carl

Anonymous said...

Wishing your father a speedy recovery Senski. My love of horror, the arts and literature also came from my father. He sounds like a strong man and I'll keep him and your family in my thoughts.

Wings1295 said...

Take care, Steve. And my best to your dad and your entire family. Stay strong & good health!

Jeff Allard said...

I've already sent my best wishes for your dad's recovery on FB but you can never have too much encouragement in times like these so once again, good luck to you and your dad in the days ahead. I hope he'll be back on his feet soon.

senski said...

Thank you all for your kind messages of support. We continue to wait for Dad's lungs to clear from infection and fluid, so a bypass can be performed. Also, he is on dialysis, as his kidneys took a really bad hit with the heart attack. We hope that, after a rest, they'll begin functioning normally. If not...Again, all your positive energy and well-wishes couldn't be more greatly appreciated.

Matt-suzaka said...

Jezz...really sorry to hear about your father. Nothing is more frightening than a friend or a family member being ill and I just want to wish your father, your family and yourself best wishes.